There are those of you that cannot lose weight because of insufficient production of thyroid hormone by the thyroid gland.
This is another source of weight gain and inability to lose weight.
If there is a disorder that prevents thyroid hormone (such as thyroxine) to be produced in adequate quantity.
When this happens your body’s ability to convert food to energy is drops through the floor. Insulin converts this unused amount of nutrients and converts it to body fat.
This rate of conversion is what people commonly mistake for the definition of metabolism. This conversion or rate of creation of food to energy is just one part of your metabolism.
Thyroid hormones dramatically inrease the amount of food your individual cells will demand and use for energy.
It is like having a car with a much bigger engine that uses twice as much gas. That is what your thyroid hormones do. They increase the amount of "gas" your cells guzzle.
Hypothyroidism even when your tests are ok.
and Weight Loss
"If you have these hypothyroidism symptoms, you will have to tailor your weight loss program to health your hypothyroidism first."
With a sluggish thyroid, the fat distribution is generalized. It is not predominant on the hips and thighs like the "estrogen-dominance" condition or around the midsection like the "adrenal fatigue" condition. What I look for is broad looking shoulders and thick and/or sagging upper arms. The silhouette of the person is more rectangle-shaped.
With the "adrenal fatigue" condition, the arms shoulders, thighs and legs in general are thin. Sometimes even bony and with low-muscle tone. With the hypothyroid case they are all thick.
With the "estrogen-dominance" condition, during pre-menopause, the upper body can be quite thin but the body flares out at the hips and thighs. Druing and after menopause the the fat climbs up to fill the midsection while still remaining on the hips and thighs as well. Yet the shoulders and upper arms can look normal.
Sagging upper arms is a trait of the hypothyroid
This is one type of stubborn fat that is like a wall you are just running into no matter what. With the adrenal case, you feel like you are running up a slippery hill. It is exhausting. With the thyroid it is different. It is like an immovable object you are pushing against.
- There is a lowered sex drive and for women sometimes a complete loss of the menstrual cycle.
- Hair is brittle and cannot be curled.
- This person also has felt cold or colder when others around them are not.
- The extremities, like the hands and feet, can also feel colder due to the slowdown of the metabolism.
Demand for Sugar
Because of the slowdown of the metabolic process, the energy creation process is also stunted. Thus the nervous system starts to look for faster ways to get energy. One of the ways to do this is to create cravings for sugary foods and/or foods that convert to sugar/glucose right away.
Sugar will convert to cellular energy very quickly. So since the body's ability to create energy is decreased through a lowered metabolism, sugar will be demanded in an effort to help you survive.
So there will be cravings for breads and sugary carbohydrates and refined foods with no nutrient value.
Here Is A List Of Symptoms Of Hypothyroidism...
- General weakness
- General fatigue
- Need for mid-afternoon naps
- Generalized weight gain, fat is distributed pretty much generally evenly across the body
- Sagging skin under arms, chin or midsection
- Low and poor appetite
- Craving bread, pasta, chocolate and sweets
- High cholesterol
- Brittle nails with vertical ridges
- Hair stiff and dry
- Hair loss or thinning hair
- Dry skin
- Puffiness around eyes
- Sagging eyelids
- Outer eyebrows thinning or absent
- Slight rosiness or reddening of the face
- Poor short-term memory and focus
- Apathetic, loss of hope
- Difficulty making decisions
- Low body temperature
- Cold intolerance, always needs to put a sweater on or needs more coverage while sleeping
- Cold feet and/or hands
- Loss of libido
- Loss of menstrual cycle
- Indentations on side of tongue
- Thickening of tongue
- Voice deeper and rougher in sound